Table of Contents
- 1 How Often Do Hermit Crabs Eat?
- 2 What Are Some Common Foods That Hermit Crabs Like To EAT?
- 3 Here is an unsafe list of foods for hermit crabs
- 4 Complete list of Safe Food
- 5 Complete list of Unsafe Food
- 6 Conclusion
Hermit crabs are fascinating creatures. They live in shells, eat algae, and spend their entire lives alone. They are also extremely hardy animals. If you want to keep your hermit crab happy and healthy, you need to provide him with the right food. There are many different types of foods that hermit crabs enjoy eating. In this article, I will share with you the complete hermit crab food list that you should feed your hermit crab.
How Often Do Hermit Crabs Eat?
Hermit crabs eat once a week. They eat at night when they are asleep. During the day, they sleep under rocks, logs, plants, or other objects where they feel safe. When it is time to feed, hermits crawl out of their hiding places and look for something tasty to munch on.
If you have an aquarium with live rock in it, your hermit will be happy there because he can hide from predators while eating his favorite foods. He may also like to hang around the edge of the tank to have easy access to water if needed.
What Are Some Common Foods That Hermit Crabs Like To EAT?
1) Algae – This is what most hermit crabs feed upon. It helps them grow, but it can be hard to digest, so you may need to provide some type of supplement or treat.
2) Shellfish – Crustaceans like shrimp, clams, mussels, oysters, etc. These shellfish have calcium carbonate, which makes up part of the exoskeleton of crustacean shells. The more calcium carbonate there is in an animal‘s diet, the stronger its shell will become.
3) Worms – There are worms out there that hermit crabs love! You should try feeding your hermit crabs worm castings from fish tanks.
4) Shrimp – If you want to give your hermit crabs something easy to prepare, then shrimp would work well. Just make sure that the shrimp isn’t too big since hermits don’t usually chew things very much.
5) Fish Food – Many people think that hermit crabs only eat seafood such as shrimp, crawfish, lobster, etc… However, this isn’t true at all. Most hermit crabs actually prefer meaty foods over seafood. Try giving your hermit crabs pieces of chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey, ham, sausage, bacon, etc.
6) Insects – Another great thing about insects is that they’re full of protein and fat. So if you’d instead not buy expensive seafood items, insect larvae might be just suitable for your hermit crabs.
7) Nuts & Seeds – Shelled nuts and seeds are good sources of nutrition for hermit crabs. Make sure that these items are shelled through before offering them to your hermit crabs. Otherwise, they’ll probably choke on them.
8) Vegetables – A lot of vegetables contain high amounts of water content. That means that they won’t help your hermit crabs stay hydrated.
9) Bread – Yes, bread is one of those foods that we know hermit crabs hate. But sometimes, when you’re trying to get rid of mold on your walls, bread works wonders.
10) Dried seaweed – Dried kelp, dried spirulina, and dried dulse is excellent choices for providing nutrients to your hermit crabs without having to worry about making them sick by adding fresh ingredients into their diets.
11) Fish scales – Scales are a natural source of calcium for hermit crabs. They also come in many different colors and patterns.
12) Dead fish – When dead fish start smelling bad, throw them away. Your hermit crabs will enjoy chewing on them.
13) Eggshells – Eggs are another item that hermit crabs really dislike. However, eggshells do offer a nice amount of calcium for your hermit crabs‘ growth.
Here is an unsafe list of foods for hermit crabs
1) Any kind of meat, fish, or poultry – Hermit crabs are omnivores and will eat anything they can get their claws on. They have no teeth, so if you feed them any type of animal flesh, it could be fatal to the hermit crab. If your pet has eaten something like this before, then they may not want to try again.
2) Raw vegetables – such as carrots, cucumbers, celery, etc. These should only be fed cooked. The same goes for fruit. Fruit needs to be peeled first. Otherwise, hermit crabs might mistake it for raw meat. This would cause an upset stomach which in turn could lead to death.
3) Nuts – Hermit crabs cannot digest nuts well at all. So don’t give them any!
4) Citrus Fruits – Oranges, lemons, grapefruits, etc. Again these need to be washed thoroughly because hermit crabs do not know how to peel citrus fruits.
Complete list of Safe Food
Apples and natural unsweetened apple sauce
Basil, whole plant
Blackberries, leaves & flowers
Broccoli and leaves
Calcium carbonate powder, plain
Carrots and carrot tops
Cauliflower and leaves
Cherry, fruit, and wood
Chicken, cooked and unseasoned
Clover blossoms and leaves
Coconut meat, oil, water, and shells
Cod liver oil
Dandelion flowers, leaves, and roots
Egg and Eggshells, cooked
Extra-virgin olive oil
Feeder cockroaches, dead
Fish flakes w/out chemical preservatives
Fish, all species
Frozen fish food
Grasshoppers, dead or dried
Hornworms, feeders only
I + J
Indian Almond Leaves
Japanese Maple, leaves or branches, dried or fresh
Lilac, flowers, branches, and leaves
Lobster with a crushed exoskeleton
Maple leaves and branches, all species
Mealworms, live, dead or dried
Milk thistle flowers
Most organic baby foods
Mushrooms, all types edible for humans
N + O
Oak Leaves and bark
Olives and olive oil
Pansy flowers and leaves
Parsnip, root, and greens
Pasta, no added salt or preservatives
Peanuts and shells
Pimentos, no salt or preservatives
Psyllium & husks
Pumpkin, plus entire plant
Q + R
Radish, roots, and greens
Red raspberry leaves
Russian Olive leaves
Sand dollars, untreated
Sea biscuits, untreated
Sea fan, untreated
Sea Horses, untreated
Sea Urchins, untreated
Shrimp and exoskeletons, all types
Soy and soy products
Strawberry and tops
Swamp cypress wood
Turnip, roots, and greens
U + V
Wasa All-Natural Crispbread
Waxworms, live or dead
Whole Wheat Couscous
Complete list of Unsafe Food
African violet leaves
Bird of Paradise Flowers
Cedarwood or needles
Crown of Thorns
F + G + H + I
K + L
M + O
Pencil Tree Cactus
Pride of China fruit
Prunus species trees
R + S
Texas Mountain Laurel
V + W + Y
Wild Angelica fruit
Hope you like this article about the hermit crab food list. If there is any other information that we can add to the post, please let us know in the comments section below! Also, if you have a question for us, feel free to ask it as well. We will try our best to answer your questions. Thanks again for reading!
Read more from Tropical Fish Answers: